Re: [hylafax-users] Fax confirmation: Umlauts (ä) broken

Hi Lee,

Am Donnerstag, 1. Februar 2007 22:10 schrieb Lee Howard:
> Max Mothwurf wrote:
> >Hm, I didnt notice HylaFAX+ so far, it looks like a fork to me. Was there
> > a main reson for this? Is hylafax not...behaving, so to say?
>
> There was a long, long history of a difference in opinion about the
> development direction and pace between me, the primary developer and
> supporter, and Darren.  Eventually I felt like his business involvement
> with iFAX was problematic for the well-being of the software
> development, and eventually I decided to put my work in a place
> independent from Darren.  So I started doing my stuff at Sourceforge...
> even released pre-releases called "subreleases".  But others objected to
> that approach, and so in the end I did, indeed, leave hylafax.org
> development.

This is indeed a fork....

> Whether or not you want to call that a project fork is up to you and
> your perspective.  Is the code itself forked from what you find at
> hylafax.org.  Yes, indeed.  However, as I was the primary developer and
> supporter for years - and as Darren merely did "secretarial" things at
> best.  My opinion is that HylaFAX simply moved its place of residence.
> HylaFAX is now at Sourceforge - and to distinguish it from what remains
> at hylafax.org I've called it HylaFAX+ for those who needed it to have a
> different name.  To me it's all still HylaFAX.  As for the development
> that goes on at hylafax.org --- well, it's mostly work in the wrong
> direction.  The things that they do that are good I port into my
> repository.  And, I have invited them to take everything from the
> HylaFAX+ repository that they want.

Well, lets see in the near future what will happen - whether both of you can
take advantage from each others developments or not.

I will have a look into HylaFAX+ and see if I can support you with some
SuSE-builds....

> >I thought the german templates are a nice thing, but i dont really need
> > it. Just diggin' in and seen whats in ...and fixing bugs :-)
>
> You get German e-mails with HylaFAX+.  I put them in back in 4.3.0, I
> think.  Just make sure LANG=de_de in your FaxDispatch and FaxNotify.
>
> >Tats true..but, as the main guy, if you know that it is the wrong
> > approach, what will you do to 'correct' the direction?
>
> It's the wrong approach, and I have publicly told many times those still
> developing at hylafax.org that it is the wrong approach.  They ignore me
> and largely do not respond to me.  I think that they've invested a lot
> of time into the templating, and they will be extremely reluctant to
> abandon it.

Sounds like the Jork-Janke-approach in Compiere to me......

> What I have done to "correct" the direction was I moved HylaFAX to
> Sourceforge - and that's called HylaFAX+.  So my efforts at HylaFAX+
> were part of the "correction" that I was expected to do as the "main guy".

Will you keep on developing it?

Cheers
Max