Re: [hylafax-users] OCR suggestions

Well, I'm not ready yet to try ocrad :)

My script now rotates the incoming fax to 180 degrees if it can't
reasonably decode at 0 deg.  If that fails, it then rotates the
orginal to 90 deg, and if that fails it tries 270 deg, and then gives
up!

By reasonable, I mean I randomly sample words from the ocr'd text, and
check them against the 1000 most common english words, and see what
score I get.

Tesseract seems to work quite well but seems to be font sensitive.
Eg. it wasn't able to decode a large non Times-Roman font, but was
able to cope with a smaller times-roman.

On 1/31/07, Uwe Dippel <udippel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Graham Chiu wrote:

> Big test today failed though .. as the faxes came in upside down and
> so ocr failed :(
>
> Must be a way to detect upside down images and invert them again ??

(Feel like selling you an old idea, since you never take the bait :( )
We do this with ocrad, it permits to rotate the image. So we try to
extract the e-mail address, do some checking. If it isn't, rotate.
The whole runs in a loop written in shell script.

Uwe

--
Graham Chiu
http://www.synapsedirect.com