Re: [hylafax-users] Fax confirmation: Umlauts broken

Torsten Mueller wrote:

Especially regarding the internationalization (in HylaFAX+) i would suggest using UTF-8 in the future development.

I do not have a problem at all with using UTF-8. The reason that HylaFAX+ currently uses ISO-8859-1 and ISO-8859-2 is because those are the character sets that were used by the translators.

Setting an E-Mail Header like
shouldn't be a big problem.

The entire mail is of multipart/mixed content. The individual text part does have this kind of header on it, but using the $CHARSET specified by the dictionary translation being used according to $LANG.

The notification messages should be in UTF-8 too.
As we use UTF-8 in the messages, the E-Mail subject
needs to be UTF-8 encoded too.

This way we shouldn't have future problems, if some chars
are not available in the ISO-8859-1 charset.

I do not disagree that there can be improvements made to HylaFAX internationalization. Again, UTF-8 is not currently being used in HylaFAX+ because the translators used the ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-2 character sets. The subject line must be internationalized separately using RFC 2047. However, in the case being discussed the characters were coming from a remote device which did not explicity reveal which caracter set it was using. To assume any particular character set in such cases will ultimately reveal problems as HylaFAX cannot accurately guess when the characters are not accompanied with information about the character set.