From: Lee Howard [mailto:faxguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 12:37 PM
To: Terry Dobbs
Cc: hylafax-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [hylafax-users] Need help on next step(s)

Terry Dobbs wrote:

>I have a US Robotics Sportster External Modem, using Class 1. The PBX
>we are using is a Nortel Meridian Option 11. We are looking at getting
>another number with some DIDs to use just for fax purposes. We are not
>currently using ISDN.

I can't explain to you exactly what you need to do on your Nortel box,
but basically what you want is for it to dial the DID digits as DTMF
after the modem picks up the call and before it bridges the incoming
call through.

Also, I don't know if your modems support voice (AT+FCLASS=? response
contains an "8") or IS-101 DTMF detection and reporting from the voice
mode, but if it does, then in your modem config files you'll want to use
the "CallIDPattern: SHIELDED_DTMF" option.  Take a look at:

  http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/man/hylafax-config.php

and search for "SHIELDED_DTMF".  There is a sample configuration there.

Make sure that you set RingsBeforeAnswer to 0 as you'll not be
fax-answering based on rings any more, but rather based on DTMF digits.

Basically what you're trying to do is to throw the modem temporarily
into voice mode when the call is answered, watch for DTMF and collect
the digits, and then throw it back into fax mode and start the usual
fax-answering at that point.  The DTMF digits are then passed along to
faxrcvd and FaxDispatch and you can utilize them from there with
$CALLIDn from there.