Re: [hylafax-users] caller-id fax blacklist

Steve Hanselman wrote:

The one problem I can see is that one guys spam is another guys interest
(I'm sure that some of the faxes I block others would be interested in),

Nice idea though, might need to have some kind of reporting threshold (a
bit like DCC etc).

Well, in the cases where I'm filtering out junk fax callers I also have DID available, so I could theoretically disable the filtering on a per-DID basis, but as of yet I haven't met anyone who has been missing their junk faxes.

Lee, how do you block, just based on case statements in faxrecvd or
something a bit slicker, any chance of posting your code?

In the cases where I'm filtering I am using an Asterisk PBX, and so I just drop the call on the PBX-side. This may help prevent the faxer from calling back, too... eventually they may learn that the number is not a fax number for them. In Asterisk I just use an AGI script. However, I could do something similar in HylaFAX's DynamicConfig ... except actually dropping the call may be more difficult (normally DynamicConfig just won't answer).

Also, one thing I'd like to do is to be able to down speed the receive
on blacklisted numbers, I figure I can do others a favour if it takes 10
times as long to send us a fax from one of these guys, any idea on how
to achieve that?

You may be able to get away with this in Class 1 and DynamicConfig with forcing a Class1RMQueryCmd response to indicate, say, only V.27ter (2400/4800 bps) support. In my case doing this would be unacceptable - because it still costs me the line resources to play with the junk faxer that way... I just want him to go away quickly... and let me get my modem and line back and available to acceptable use.