Re: [hylafax-users] Fedora Core 5

Lee Howard wrote:
Terry D. Boldt wrote:

Reran faxsetup.sh and faxaddmodem.sh.

I think the latter was part of the problem. Both scripts are in the 'etc' directory where I put the hylafax sources, but don't seem to have been copied anywhere else.

They should get installed during 'make install' to /usr/local/sbin/ or /usr/sbin/.
There is the problem with running the scripts.

They got installed in /usr/local/sbin and that directory is not in my PATH variable under bash. It wasn't there under Fedora Core 4 and Fedora Core 5 hasn't added it either. So under Fedora Core (and I assume Red Hat???) the instructions may have to be changed to reflect the fact that the user will have to either add that directory to the PATH (temporarily or permanently) or specify the path - the later would probably not let faxsetup automatically run faxaddmodem though. And that is what happened to me. The faxsetup script couldn't run faxaddmodem at the end of the script even though it asked and I replied in the affirmative and got no error message (received no output whatsoever and so just assumed that faxaddmodem had run when in fact it had not, so the fax modem had not really been added to the HylaFAX setup, hence no fax modem to send the faxes, in addition to the problem that faxgetty wasn't running.

Thank you again for the help and information. I really should print and save the emails for when Fedora Core 6 gets installed. But then I probably wouldn't remember that I had printed them and probably couldn't find them anyway :-)

Terry

The fact that things started working after running faxaddmodem is probably because it ran faxmodem for you. faxmodem is an alternative (although generally a less-desireable one) to running faxgetty.

If you are always rushing towards the future,
Then you never have any past.

Terry Boldt
Paraphrasing Ben Franklin:

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

The exact quote:

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
 Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),
 US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer
 Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759