Re: [hylafax-users] wrong charset in notification mail - suggest CHARSET in bin/dictionary

Bodo Meissner wrote:

Maybe the developers need some more information about how gettext could be used in HylaFAX and what is needed to make this work on a UNIX system which does not have the gettext runtime stuff as a standard package.

Yes. I really think that someone familiar with gettext will need to step up and just do some coding and propose a patch or something - at least the beginnings of it until some others of us can envision what needs to be done.

What about gettext's GPL license?
Does this pose any problems on software vendors who sell a proprietary product based on HylaFAX? At least they would have to offer gettext's source code to their customers. Is it sure that Hylafax using gettext programs is not a "derived work" which must be distributed under the terms of GPL?

HylaFAX uses lots and lots of GPL tools (sed, grep, bash, etc.) both within the build process and in normal usage. The GPL does not restrict this... even for closed-source uses. I don't really know how gettext works, but if it works like these tools then there is no problem.

If it turns out that gettext is not too-big of a tool for our purpose and that we can get the conversion made that we should be certain that we don't impose a gettext dependency upon all HylaFAX users. I expect that there are some HylaFAX installations out there that do not have gettext available. In using gettext we'll either need to deny these installations internationalization support or we'll need to provide them some alternative.