Re: [hylafax-users] wrong charset in notification mail - suggest CHARSET in bin/dictionary

Am 28.06.2006 20:15:18 schrieb(en) Lee Howard:

HylaFAX uses lots and lots of GPL tools (sed, grep, bash, etc.) both within the build process and in normal usage. The GPL does not restrict this... even for closed-source uses. I don't really know how gettext works, but if it works like these tools then there is no problem.

Hello Lee,

simply using the tools is never a problem. HylaFAX uses an sed program already present on the system whether it's GPL or some proprietary UNIX' license. So using a gettext from a Linux distribution is OK.

Installation and use of gettext for the build process is not a license problem for anyone.

we should be certain that we don't impose a gettext dependency upon all HylaFAX users. I expect that there are some HylaFAX installations out there that do not have gettext available.

That's the problem I see.

In using
gettext we'll either need to deny these installations internationalization support or we'll need to provide them some alternative.

There are 3 possible solutions:
1. Providing an alternative for such systems.
In this case it would be better (IMHO) to use the alternative everywhere instead of having two solutions for one problem.
2. Denying internationalization support.
3. Ship the gettext runtime stuff together with Hylafax.

Solutions 2 and 3 may be a problem for commercial software based on HylaFAX. Such a vendor would want to integrate everything what is needed into his installation. I'm not sure if this would make the whole a "derived work".

Bodo