Re: [hylafax-users] Problem when sending from 2 fax on the same line at the same time

David Losada wrote:

The only thing I don't understand is that, if Hylafax is working as class1 (so is taking "directly" over the hardware modem) WHY HYLAFAX FAILS FIGURING OUT THAT THE LINE IS BUSY by checking the tone!

This is due to either a flaw in the modem, or a misconfiguration in the default modem settings. The modem, normally by default, should check for dialtone and busy signals. Try adding this to your modem config file:

ModemDialCmd: ATX4DT%s

The "NO CARRIER" problem is also going to be the fault of the modem, but it could simply be that the line is busy, but that the modem is not configured to listen for a busy signal or is otherwise unable to detect the busy signal given by your telco. It's possible that the modem configuration item above will remedy it.

The "no carrier detected" problem could be the modem (first we tried with a very cheap crappy modem that got a lot of them so we changed it), but this one is recommended on http://www.hylafax.org/content/Cheap_Class1_Modems

In my opinion the relatively recent direction that the hylafax.org website has taken is at fault here, as anyone can write "official-looking content"... and this kind of misleading only devalues everything else associated with it. The page you cite actually makes Creative Modem Blaster modems appear "officially" sanctioned and tested when such is not the case. Neither Creative nor Rockwell/Conexant participate here (whether in-person or by proxy) to give that kind of assurance to HylaFAX users.