Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax Minimum Requirements

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006, Kahlil Johnson wrote:

>   I have a couple of beginner doubts, one is Hylafax-server minimum
>   requirements. I am thinking on using a Intel Celeron 300Mhz, RAM 64
>   machine as a terminal (no X) server.
>   I wonder if this will be enough for the task.

We just retired the machine we had been using for dialup uucp and
HylaFAX for the last ten years or so -- a Pentium 75 running
Caldera OpenLinux 1.3.  It always worked fine with HylaFAX
although many of the tools currently available for PDF and such
weren't running on that box.

>   My second question is does a modem working on linux will mean that the
>   Fax will also work. I have a winmodem running on conexant but I wonder
>   if does it necesarily make my Fax features run too.
>   If not does anyone know or recomend a - $20 USD fax-modem.
>   thanks for the answers.

We use only the MultiTech external modems, primarily the MT2834ZDX.

I've found these at local PC recyclers for under $20USD.

Many (most) of the consumer grade modems that I've tested over the last 20
years are junk if you want to use them in unattended applications.  The
only brands I've never had a problem with are MultiTech and Telebits
(anybody want three WorldBlazers and a TrailBlazer I have sitting on the
shelf -- no fax capabilities unfortuately :-).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The Constitution is a written instrument.  As such, its meaning
does not alter.  That which it meant when it was adopted, it
means now.
-- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)