Re: [hylafax-users] Postfix DNS MX question.. receiving mail. kinda OT

Will,

Not sure if you ever got this working. I got busy and didn't reply before. See my comments below.

waskelton4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
So postfix is serving what purpose to the internal users? Only intranet email?

I guess I should elaborate.. it isn't really serving any purpose to any internal users. The only "user" that will be sending email to this server is a webserver. (ASP.net, IIS6, win2k3...) Those emails will then be faxed out through the email2fax gateway part of hylafax.

I'm assuming that you have full control over that Win2k3 box right? Direct whatever app is sending the mail to use your hylafax/postfix box as the mail server. That way, if you send mail through the hylafax box (with postfix installed and configured properly), postfix should see that it is handling mail for that domain and not ever look at the DNS.

You could have users send mail through the postfix server. (Set your postfix server as the smtp server on each client).

I already have an smtp server setup (another seperate windows box) for the webserver. anyway i could use it to possibly relay to the postfix server and have the postfix server only accept relays from that windows SMTP box?

Ok. Here's what you do. Tell the Windows webserver to use the Postfix box as the mail server. Have postfix handle fax.yourdomain.org locally by postfix, then relay all remaining mail to the existing Windows server. (look for "relayhost" in the main.cf file)

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Darrick
--
Darrick Hartman