Re: [hylafax-users] How to troubleshoot modem answering problem?

Tadeusz Andrzej Kad?ubowski wrote:
Thus wrote Joe:
I have a modem that stopped answering the line.  I have
confirmed that the line is in fact ringing to the modem.
I have done a "hylafax stop" then "hylafax start" with
no luck.  I have not tried to reboot the server.  The
modems are MultiTech MULTIMODEM ZPX INTERNAL V.92
( MT5634ZPX-PCI-U-NV ).  Faxstat shows running and idle
while it is ringing.  I have not made the modem "down"
with faxstate.  I have connected to the modem with cu
and any command I issue responds with OK.  What is a
good procedure to use to figure out why it won't answer?

What comes to my mind...

Double-check cabling. Maybe the telephone line is broken? I have learned never
to trust cables.

Phone line is ok.

Can You call some other device using minicom/cu/whatever?
Can You send faxes without any problems?

If I try a call with cu it responds "NO DIALTONE". I have verified there is dialtone.

Does rebootting the server solve the problem? It might be that the modem is
broken and blocks after some time. Modem driver's might also be faulty.

Rebooting fixed it.

Does HylaFAX try to answer the phone and produce any logs in
/var/spool/fax/log/? If yes, then could You show this logs to us?