[hylafax-users] How to troubleshoot modem answering problem?

I have a modem that stopped answering the line.  I have
confirmed that the line is in fact ringing to the modem.
I have done a "hylafax stop" then "hylafax start" with
no luck.  I have not tried to reboot the server.  The
modems are MultiTech MULTIMODEM ZPX INTERNAL V.92
( MT5634ZPX-PCI-U-NV ).  Faxstat shows running and idle
while it is ringing.  I have not made the modem "down"
with faxstate.  I have connected to the modem with cu
and any command I issue responds with OK.  What is a
good procedure to use to figure out why it won't answer?