Re: [hylafax-users] Digital vs Analog

On Ceturtdiena, 27. Oktobris 2005 23:17, precioso arabche wrote:
> im trying to decide on a new modem for hylafax and wanted to know if
> "theoretically" digital should have less problems than analogue..

Of course my answer may be is silly. We used Zyxel rackmodem 16 devices
+ serial port cards + hylafax. Zyxel works flawless when call goes
via public voice net (PSTN), but never will work properly when call
goes via Voice over IP (VoIP). Previosly we use Memotec VoIP (very
wrong). Now we use Alcatel buil-in PBX VoIP trunks (satisfactory
quality).
Eicon works via VoIP as miracle. Nobody can explain that thing.
Now Zyxel rackmodem rust in the storeroom.

> the main "unsolvable/firmware" problems ive seen on this forum would be
> "Ring detected without successful handshake" etc.. etc.. etc..
>
> if i go ahead and purchase one of the digital boards listed on ifax
> http://shop.ifax.com/index.php?cPath=31_1_24
>
> can i expect a similar/slightly higher/higher/much higer success rate.. or
> is there a different set of problems??

Eicon related error is about 0.5%. Who knows, is error Eicon related?

Off topic: I check out various fax servers under Windows - there Eicon
Diva Server realy beat any analog modem. Looks like up-to-date fax servers
cannot understand how to works analog modem.

Aivils Stoss