Re: [hylafax-users] Integration / MSSQL dos client Help - Sorry if this sent twice.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Paul D. Kraus wrote:

> My company is running on MSSQL server using MAS500. We have modified the
> software so that reports can be printed to PDF and saved in a network share.
> The phone number  and filename is written to a table.
>
> I want to write a script that will read that table and then grab the file
> and send it to hylafax.

What problems are you having getting the script to run from the Unix side?
Put the PDFs on a network share, and then use the ODBC functionality of
your scripting language (perl/php/whatever) to fetch the info from the
table you need.

You can call out directly to sendfax, or can use one of the Hylafax APIs
for your preferred scripting language.

You'll also get the benefit of cron (if you want timed delivery).

If I were doing this, I would use php with the PEAR:DB database layer.  I
have had great luck with using php for scripting, and I use DB for
Postgres and MySQL support, but it says it supports MS SQL as well.

If you're religious about Perl, I'm sure DBI can handle it.

I would try to make this work before trying a Windows-side Hylafax API.
There are COM/OLE controls for it, and many other options, but it's simple
on the Unix side, and you'll get better support here for it.

Bill