Re: [hylafax-users] Software to receive faxes in superfine mode?

On 2004.03.16 16:51 Felix E. Klee wrote:

>From page 7.6:
    Technical Specifications
    [...]
    Compatibility               CCITT Group 3
    Compression Format          MH/MR/MMR
    [...]
    Scan Density - Horizontal   200 dpi
                 - Vertical     Standard:   3.85 lines/mm (98 lpi)
                                Fine:        7.7 lines/mm (196 lpi)
                                Super Fine: 11.8 lines/mm (300 dpi)
    [...]

Firstly, "superfine" is a term that is not standardized, you cannot rely on that. Some manufacturers translate superfine to be 200x400, some 300x300, and some 400x400. I've also heard "hyperfine" used for all of those. HylaFAX calls 200x400 (metric) as "superfine", 200x400 (inch) as "200x400", 300x300 (inch) as "300x300", and (metric) 400x400 as "hyperfine" (i.e., metric resolutions have names, inch resolutions have dpis).

Anyway, I strongly suspect that this fax machine is supporting 300 x 300 dpi as superfine, the superfine resolution being an exception to the horizontal statement above it.

You see that it is not 100% clear what resolution is used for sending
faxes in superfine mode. It could as well be that the scanner scans
with
300 dpi and the fax is send with 400 dpi (e.g. by doubling every third
line).

I think that this is unlikely.

I tried to figure that out by sending superfine mode faxes to
different receivers:
1. EFAX cannot receive them (Xircom RM56g or Elsa 56K Internet).

efax doesn't support extended resolutions.

2. The Windows 2000 built in FAX service can't receive them
   (Elsa 56K Internet).

Not surprising. It probably uses Class 2 anyway, so this is the responsibility of the modem with Windows FAX service.

3. CallCenter Lite for Windows receives them in fine mode, maybe after
   negotiation with the Samsung machine (Elsa 56K Internet).
4. The T-Online Fon & Fax service receives them in fine mode, just as
   CallCenter Lite.

HylaFAX CVS HEAD can receive them. :-)

I can share a fax number with you privately, if you want to send me a fax to test.

I'm not sure if any of these receivers supports 200x400 dpi mode. So,
also wanted to try HylaFAX. But I gave up because I wasn't successful
in
installing the current stable version (I wanted to try that before
going
for the CVS head). Because I don't want to install such a complex
package in the main directory of my system, I set up all installation
paths to point into a testing tree. However, when doing "make
install",
I got the following error messages:

    /bin/cp: cannot create regular file
`/usr/local/lib/libfaxutil.so.4.1.8': Permission denied
    (cd /usr/local/lib; ln -sf libfaxutil.so.4.1.8 libfaxutil.so)
    ln: creating symbolic link `libfaxutil.so' to
`libfaxutil.so.4.1.8': Permission denied

You must have root access to 'make install'.