Re: [hylafax-users] Upgrading from 4.1.8 to CVS HEAD

I agree that Lee Howard is invaluable with the information he has on HylaFax. But since he will probably reply to this anyway, I'm going to show you how would like to see the answer phrased. I just went through the CVS update and it was really smooth. But I had to go to great efforts reading docs and asking questions of things I didn't understand.

So here goes:

Download a copy of the CVS software. You can get a copy at:

 http://www.cvshome.org

I was able to download the binary copy for FreeBSD and the rest of my steps went like this:

  1. gunzip -d your_version_of_cvs.gz

  2. Copy the unzipped version of this file to some folder in your path. I chose /usr/bin/
      and then chmod a+x the file in it's new location. You can even rename it to cvs
      if that makes things simpler and for me it did.

  3. rehash - or whatever your system requires to get the new file located in your path.
      This is not necessary if you use the full path in the next commands

  4.  At your command prompt type:

      cvs -d ":pserver:cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot" login

      Enter "cvs" when asked for the password, then at the next prompt type:

       cvs -d ":pserver:cvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot" get hylafax

5. Set back and watch the files download to your computer. When the download is complete, do the standard:

Before proceeding to the next step, check the file VERSION with your favorite text editor to see if they have changed the version number. If it still says 4.1.6 change it to 4.2.0 or 4.2-CVS.

    ./configure
    make
    make install

Then rerun faxsetup and you're all set. If all went well then you will have the new ECM capabale HylaFax running which definitely helped us out here.

Good luck.

Adrian Newby <anewby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In a recent post, Lee Howard (who seems to be a HylaFAX superhero ? kudos to you sir) observes that there are many enhancements in CVS HEAD that cannot be found in 4.1.8.  I believe that and, while I?m currently happy with 4.1.8, I can see that there are features in the development branch that I?m going to want to take advantage of.

This  leads me to my question:

What does an upgrade from one HylaFAX version (i.e. 4.1.8) to another (i.e. CVS HEAD, when it becomes a stable production release) look like?  What will be involved?  Is  an upgrade path documented as part of a release package?  If there is one, what would be considered the definitive online resource for users wanting to learn more about upgrading prior to taking the plunge?

Thanks in advance,
Adrian Newby

---------------------------------

Adrian Newby
Chief Technology Officer
Prudent Rx Inc.
100 Corporate Pointe, Suite 395
Culver City, CA 90230

P: +1 (310)642-1700 x124
F: +1 (310)642-1701
e: anewby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

**Notice of Confidentiality**
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of the communication is prohibited.

Do you Yahoo!?