Re: [hylafax-users] I'm fed up with faxing under linux :-)

On 2004.03.09 07:05 Krzysztof Cieniuch wrote:

Now I'm using two modems, first: highly recommended
ZyXEL U-1496E+ and second ASMAX external fax/modem
based on ROCKWELL V1456VQE chipset.

On mailing list when something doesn't
work first answer is use Class1 second try different modem this
is not acceptable solutions to say at least.

If there is a bug in the modem firmware we cannot do anything about it. So you'll have to turn to the modem manufacturer for support. Zyxel doesn't support their analog modems any more. So if their product is broken somehow, then you can't get fixes for it anywhere - what can you do, besides replace it?

I've seen so many Windows faxservers working without
any problems with almost any faxmodem/isdn modem you name it
So now I'm not so convinced that most of the cases is flaky
hardware/modem.

Take your U-1496E+ and stick it in your favorite Windows system with your favorite Windows faxware and you will have the same problems in Class 1 as you had in HylaFAX with Class 1, and you will have the same problems in Class 2 as you had in HylaFAX with Class 2.

It seems that the biggest issue is choosing the RIGHT modem.
(so what that I can configure my system in any way I want when
i can't send fax with it)
I think that HylaFAX users(talking about us :-))
should start keep modem list as current as possible

There have been several attempts at this. http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.php#ss2.1 http://hyla.xtremeweb.de/cgi-bin/hyla/hylaeng.pl/HowToMake http://www.hylafax.org/modems.php http://www.hylafax.org/Modems/

They're all bound to become not-current very quickly - and since many, many HylaFAX users are using old modems to begin with, the chances are good that a list produced in such a way would be outdated from the minute it began.

The problems with modem firmware - especially in Class 2 (but also in Class 1) is that most modem manufacturers aren't really motivated to promptly research and fix bugs in their fax firmware. Try to get real fax firmware support from USR, for example. And once a firmware has reached production use, then they're very slow to change things, especially if the bug lies in the DSP code they use. So if a modem firmware passes a manufacturer's limited faxing tests, then it's released, and we have to live with the consequence that such-an-such a modem wasn't ever tested by the manufacturer against such-an-such a fax machine.

My very,very small contribution :-))
1) I've tested U.S.Robotics 56KFax-Modem (model 5630) it worked
but I didn't tested it much, it had no problem to connect to
Canon Laser 9000 series which is my quality test :-).
CallerID doesn't work (on windows also so I've stopped trying)

Not that I want to stick up for USR at all, but I've used USRs with CallerID just fine.

Feb 19 18:21:10.96: [ 2889]: <-- [9:AT+FTH=3\r]
Feb 19 18:21:11.43: [ 2889]: --> [10:NO CARRIER]

What has happened here that I've got no carrier ??

If this is reproducible, then the modem is broken; it cannot raise a V.21 transmission carrier (NO CARRIER is not a valid response per T.31). This modem will not work in Class 1 as-is with any fax software.