Re: [hylafax-users] OT: RedHat Was: from RPM to CVS

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Lee Howard wrote:

> I've not yet found anyone who was going to migrate that way.  I've seen
> people migrating to RedHat Enterprise, to Debian, to SuSE, to Mac OS X
> (strangely enough), to FreeBSD, etc... but I've yet to find anyone who
> actually will be migrating to Fedora.

In these parts, I've yet to talk to anyone that is going to do Enterprise
that isnt already there for Oracle or somesuch. In that context the RHEL
pricing doesnt look as insane. The problem is that if you use just the
open source components (Apache, Bind, Samba, Sendmail, etc.) and just want
updates (not suport), the pricing is totally nuts. Not to mention the
license restrictions and the fact that you cant upgrade from RH9 to RHEL,
you have to reinstall.

Fedora does look very much like the next release of Red Hat, so it has the
advantage of familiarity. The test installs and upgrades we've tried have
worked well. We're uprading everything internal to RH9 that isnt there
already to get another few months out of our Redhat Network susbscriptions
and give the situation more time to settle down.

> Will Fedora release security updates?

Yup. They just did last night. At about the same time as the RH9 update
came out.

> Will up2date work with Fedora?

Not the classic up2date with the Red Hat Network hosted management web
site (I always liked that).  They changed up2date to support atp and yum
repositories, and then added a yum client. I've been using yum to update
it and it seems to be working OK.

> Is "Fedora" just a new name for "RawHide"?

No, there is definitely a difference.

Interestingly, there is now a sub project called Fedora Legacy whose
charter is to backport fixes to Fedora (and RH9!) to extend its support
window.

I still think Red Hat is making a rather big mistake. All I really want is
a Linux system with updates for a couple of year, and no licensing
hassles. Im even willing to pay for it, but not what RHEL costs.

Joe Matuscak
Rohrer Corporation
717 Seville Road
Wadsworth, Ohio 44281