Re: [hylafax-users] from RPM to CVS

I have to also modify the hylafax.spec file to remove references to patches, correct?

-Jeff H.
At 03:33 PM 12/2/2003, Lee Howard wrote:
On 2003.12.02 11:43 Jeff Herring wrote:
I would like to "upgrade" my 4.1.7 to my recently built cvs version...
Can I simply do a make install from the cvs version?
What will this do to my config?

Whatever you do, don't install via RPM and via source. You'll end up with two copies of most of the binaries because the source build ends up in /usr/local while the RPM installs in other places.

The best thing you could do would be to fetch and install the HylaFAX SRPM and then get CVS. Edit VERSION in CVS to be 4.2.0 (or whatever it is you want to call your new version). Change the "hylafax" CVS directory name to "hylafax-4.2.0" or whatever your version is. Then tarball it... 'tar czvf hylafax-4.2.0.tar.gz hylafax-4.2.0' and put the tarball into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/. Edit the hylafax.spec file and change the version to 4.2.0 or whatever your version is. Then build your new HylaFAX RPM.

I'm always happy to share my CVS-built RPMs with anyone that asks for them. I also usually add some development (not yet CVS-worthy) patches also, so my RPMs aren't for everyone. Of course, I may only do this until April (at which point RedHat discontinues support for all non-enterprise versions), and then I may need to find a new distro (Debian?, unless some other organization picks up where RedHat is halting support).