Re: [hylafax-users] Modem recommendation

Lee Howard wrote:

> No one is suggesting you experience downtime, but being that 4.1.1 is
> over a year old now... it indicates that you have *no* upgrading
> procedure.  There are numerous fixes that you'll want in almost each
> release.  The README will say exactly what.  It would be wise if you
> did what you could to make your customizations "version independent"
> to minimize the difficulty in upgrading.

There has been a 'no more upgrades till we know we have to do one' edict
in place since the 4.1.1 upgrade unfortunately.  A log format change (at
least, I think I remember that being it ...) meant that a dozen or so
100+ page faxes were resent several times over.

Most of my scripts are now almost version independant (I believe)
although there is a scheduled upgrade coming soon because the client is
buying a new computer for this work.

PS, most of my clients are database clients who don't install new
software on their computers more than once every 5 years -- and have
never had to -- the 'upgrade regularly' concept means that the software
wasn't good in the first place, in their opinion.  Debatable, but that's
where it stands for many people.

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.