Re: [hylafax-users] Modem recommendation

On 2002.10.09 05:37 Michael T. Babcock wrote:
> Josh Welch wrote:
>
>> A couple of things were left out of your post that could make a
>> significant
>> difference. First, what version of HylaFAX are you on.
> 4.1.1 on Linux 2.2.21 with glibc 2.1.3
>
>> If you aren't on
>> 4.1.3, that would be a good step to take, seems like every new
>> version has a
>> substantial number of tweaks, fixes, etc.
> I've considered that, but 'downtime' isn't something that goes over
> well here and we have numerous applications parsing log files, etc.
> as well as modified log post-processing, etc. to make the database
> world go 'round -- installing a new version is slightly involved for
> us.

No one is suggesting you experience downtime, but being that 4.1.1 is
over a year old now... it indicates that you have *no* upgrading
procedure.  There are numerous fixes that you'll want in almost each
release.  The README will say exactly what.  It would be wise if you
did what you could to make your customizations "version independent" to
minimize the difficulty in upgrading.

>> Second, if you are running the
>> modems in class 2/2.0, you may want to look at class 1. I know that
>> the
>> MT1932ZDX I have from MultiTech don't do class 1, but most of their
>> line
>> does. Overall, the MultiTech modems are well thought of and you
>> should have
>> good success with them.
>>
> It seems running in class 1 is my next step, but I believe I've heard
> people say they're running large installations in class 2 with no
> problems.

Yes, there are.  But firmwares vary from modem to modem, usually, and
so do usages.