Re: [hylafax-users] Query about multi-modem fax server

--- john.d.tullis@ironcitidel.com wrote:
> I intend to set up a multiple modem fax server.
> (a) Server to run RedHat Linux 7.2

You have 7.3 now :-)

> (b) Current RedHat HylaFAX RPM.

By current you mean 4.1.2 right?

> From reviewing the archives, it appears that it is
> useful to
> use external modems (because they can be reset w/out
> needing
> to reboot the Linux host) attached to a multiport
> serial
> card such as those made by www.cyclades.com.

Well, I have a Comtrol RocketPort ISA card(8 modems,
well7 actually, seems that somehow I "burned" one of
the ports :-))) ) and I never needed to reset/reboot.
And you can find these cards on EBay at a good price.

> I intend to have a trunk line, set up to "call hunt"
> by the
> phone company so that inbound calls can use the same
> fax
> number. That is, if I have 8 inbound lines, then
> when
> simultaneous inbound calls occur they should "roll
> over" to
> the next available line.

Like we have here for a single number. We configured
the PBX to pool 4 lines.

> Questions:
> (1) If I have a trunk line coming in, how does that
> split
> into the multiple lines I would need if I had
> separate
> external modems? Obviously, if the trunk line ended
> in a
> standard phone jack, that is only a single line
> (physically). So how does this work? Anyone who has
> dealt
> with the physical hooking up of a phone system WITH
> A SINGLE
> NUMBER that gets rolled over to separate modems, I
> would
> like to hear what is involved here.

Read above.

> (2) Now, assuming there is no problem there and that
> the
> trunk splits into multiple lines, one to each modem,
> and
> each modem is then hooked up via a serial cable to a
>
> multiport serial card, what are the mechanics of
> telling
> HylaFAX that there are several modems on the same
> serial
> port?

If you are attaching modems to a *multiport* serial
card, the system "see" the ports that the card have,
along you configure the system to do it. For your last
words, you must think ISDN or similar. With a single
modem/card you can handle multiple lines.

> I don't actually know what happens when you
> add one of
> these multiport cards to system. Does Linux then see
> several
> serial devices instead of a single serial device?

I advice you to read about unix/linux systems, because
you put some questions concerning the system itself
and not hylafax. But you can check for now the /dev/
dir.

> (3) Finally, I am posting this message in this
> manner so
> that I can avoid posting a bunch of "help help help"
>
> messages later. I would please like to get
> suggestions on
> modems that work with multiport cards.

Almost any modem that can do Class 1 and 2. But
MultiTech are good modems and seems that they tech
support "have heard" about hylafax.

> I have read
> that
> Multitech 2834ZDX modems work with the Cyclades 8Y0
> card.
> But the posting was not recent. Does anyone have any
> recent
> experience where they can say - yes, this model
> external
> modem will work with this model multiport serial
> card
> because you have done it and have it running -

Read above. But if older hardware worked for someone
and you can buy the pieces for a good price, the
information is still valid.

> preferably
> with RedHat 7.x.
> So please post suggestions.
> Regards,
> John Tullis
> John Tullis
> 847-867-1032

I hope that my words can give you some cluee. Cheers.