Re: [hylafax-users] Generating lousy performance

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Lou Katz wrote:

> I am running hylafax on a phone line where I have never given out
> the number. It apparently has been found by junk faxers who do 'war
> dialing' to discover phone numbers that respond to fax tones.

Same thing with our Hylafax server.

> Right now I turn off fax answer nights and weekends (and only allow
> data answer), which has reduced, but not eliminated the junk faxes.

Im trying a more long term solution to the problem. I've got ours set up
to turn them into PDFs and email them to me. I then print them out, attach
a form letter (modeled on the information on www.junkfaxes.org) and send
them to the FCC.  Im really hoping the FCC gets around to wacking them
with a nice fine.

Joe Matuscak
Rohrer Corporation
717 Seville Road