[hylafax-users] Why would Class 1 work but not class 2.0? How would I troubleshoot class 2.0?

I installed a Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI-V92 Internal Data/Fax/Voice Modem and
used faxaddmodem to add this modem. Its currently the only modem in my
machine
and I configured it for class 2.0 fax service.

It didn't work. The modem would complete the handshake when answering. I
also
noticed other problems but couldn't really identify them.

I removed the config.ttyS4 file and reran faxaddmodem again but this time I
configured it as a class 1 fax. Everything I've tried works now.

What would cause 2.0 to not work?

Why would I want to use 2.0? what advantages does it give me?
what can class 2.0 do that class 1 cannot?

Class 1 seems to be more ubiquitous than class 2 or 2.0 does that
mean that I should class 1 if my main priority is to be compatible with
as many other fax devices as possible? What wouldn't class 1 be
compatible with?

I also tried a USRobotics 5610B modem but it also didn't work very well
as a Class 2.0 fax. But class 1 seems to work ok.  It just seems to me
that Class 2.0 is just crap.

What would it take to get a verified, correct /etc/config file for each of
these
modems? I don't know enough about fax AT commands or fax protocol
to troubleshoot the commands or make the right decisions. These are
well-known brand modems I think it would be really handy to have
dedicated config files for these models.

- Jeff