Re: [hylafax-users] Routing faxes to other fax servers based on phonenumber

Joe Phillips wrote:

>IMO, both configs (server vs client controlled) are admin nightmares due
>to the security issues.  That said, I do think the proxy is a better
>'solution.'  If nothing else, it would be an optional, discrete module.
>
>As said before, this module would emulate a server *and* client in one
>piece.  I guess that's what we mean by 'proxy' 8).
>
>>A proxy could be (and should be) a completely separate software
>>package.  The security layer should be handled by the proxy as well -
>>possibly running a lightweight VPN (like vtun) between servers.  The
>>proxy would handle user requests as well, like deleting faxes.  From the
>>user's standpoint, the fax is local; the proxy figures out where it sent
>>that fax and tells that server to delete it.
>>

>This isn't much different conceptually from web load balancers and proxies.
>
>It's still similar to the email model.  It makes me nervous.
>
>As for VPN/vtun, why not SSL?

Because I know it?  Actually, vtun has built-in hooks for
opening/closing firewalls, adding and tearing down routes, etc.  It can
also be brought up on demand very quickly, and shut down.

And I've never worked with ssl - I don't think it can be used as a VPN -
it's and encryption/authentication system, isn't it?

--Yan

--
Yan Seiner
President, Cardinal Engineering, Inc.

spam killer code kpwq1jkcsEzdx39gnkVvgycd15ayqq
(see http://www.paganini.net/ask)