Re: [hylafax-users] Routing faxes to other fax servers based on phone number

On 2002.03.21 18:46 Joe Phillips wrote:

> There would be a trust and authentication problem.  I've been thinking
> about this for a while.  Basically, if we have servers forwarding
> fax jobs around you get something like the email model.  We all know
> how broken that is.

Yep.

I've been thinking at this off-and-on for a year or so, since I'm setting
up a "network" of HylaFAX servers nationwide, and it would help reduce
long-distance charges for my client.

There's a HUGE issue with this regarding trust and authentication.

I think that the best (rather, the least bad) option would be to build
something into DestControls that would redirect the fax (like
RejectNotice, but different).  Calling "faxalter -h" doesn't redirect the
fax - it specifies the server on which we are altering the job - so we'd
need to send it back through sendfax unless we integrated a simple client
program into faxq.  The remote system would need to authenticate us on IP,
since we're running non-interactively (and maybe this opens security
concerns), but there would be no way for the original job submitter to
alter or cancel the job once it reached the remote server.

That's the big issue, in my mind, trust and authentication for the
original job submitter to have continuous access to the job.

The e-mail models which allow the submitting client to define the job
owner are all broken, as you've said, because they open the door wide-open
for abuse of that capability, such that the system superuser must delete
the actual queue files unless he has an unrequired admin account.  For
those who develop web faxing or email-to-fax mechanisms we've suggested
building forward and reverse authentication into the client application.
Again, I tend to think that this networked-HylaFAX-server scenario is
something that is the client's responsibility again.

> In a closed, single admin group it could work.  Otherwise you're trusting
> the admin of the forwarding server to have properly configured (secured)
> his machine or the whole network suffers.

Indeed.  The whole function works better, IMHO, if the client, rather than
the server, is configured to direct jobs to multiple servers based on
destination number.

> You'd definitely want this stuff disabled in the default install.

Yeah, and considering the mess, maybe not integrate it into the codebase
at all.