[hylafax-users] Call To Action: Custom Implementation Application Notes

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 09:12:33AM +0000, genge1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> I would like to do a merge to fax from Star Office. I have the fax as
> a printer setup and use it just fine for faxing, but I always get the
> popup box asking for the fax number.

You again?  :-)

> Has anyone done a merge fax from Star Office and passed the phone
> number to that dialog box so it does not popup? I want to customize
> the faxes so I thought Star Office was the best place to do it.
>
> I tried setting a variable PHONE in the document in hopes that would
> be passed along, but it did not work.

Well, the problem here is that the "fancy" clients expect to be used
interactively.

*If* you can find and get installed one of the scripts that sits on the
way out and greps the fax number out of the job (see the list archives,
if you can), and *if* the printer driver you're using doesn't break
that string up, then you should be ok.

This is one of those corners where everyone who is doing it pretty much
did it themselves.  We'd love to include such stuff in the distro, but
*getting it* has been the problem.

CALL TO ALL:

If you're doing something cool and custom with HylaFAX (ie: you hacked
the distribution to add features), *please*, sound off!  If you're not
comfortable with writing an application not on what you did and how you
did it, I'd be happy to do it for you.  (And yes, I know that some of
you already *have* mentioned the stuff you're doing. on the list.)

Think of it as the price you pay for a $15,000 fax package for free.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")