Re: [hylafax-users] Call To Action: Custom Implementation Application Notes

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:02:59PM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 09:12:33AM +0000, genge1@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> > I would like to do a merge to fax from Star Office. I have the fax as
> > a printer setup and use it just fine for faxing, but I always get the
> > popup box asking for the fax number.
>
> You again?  :-)
>
> > Has anyone done a merge fax from Star Office and passed the phone
> > number to that dialog box so it does not popup? I want to customize
> > the faxes so I thought Star Office was the best place to do it.
> >
> > I tried setting a variable PHONE in the document in hopes that would
> > be passed along, but it did not work.
>
> Well, the problem here is that the "fancy" clients expect to be used
> interactively.
>
> *If* you can find and get installed one of the scripts that sits on the
> way out and greps the fax number out of the job (see the list archives,
> if you can), and *if* the printer driver you're using doesn't break
> that string up, then you should be ok.
>
> This is one of those corners where everyone who is doing it pretty much
> did it themselves.  We'd love to include such stuff in the distro, but
> *getting it* has been the problem.

ALTERNATIVELY:

*If* you are a capable developer, you should be able to hack StarOffice
(ok OpenOffice) to do what you want.  Is there a macro language in
Star/Open Office?

Somewhere on my (very long by now) todo list is to hack OpenOffice to
use gnu.hylafax as the FAX client code.  I spent some time at LinuxWorld
Expo last month talking to the OpenOffice developers.  I guess making
an OpenOffice build environment is non-trivial.  It requires many non-
standard development tools and a rebuild takes almost a full day.

This option, while do-able is not for the faint of heart - yet.

-joe
--
     Innovation Software Group, LLC - http://www.innovationsw.com
               Custom Internet and Computer Solutions