Re: [hylafax-users] DID Hardware and Setup

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 08:11:15PM -0500, Yan Seiner wrote:
> > Quite so... of course, you'll *still* need a box to break the PRI into
> > BRI's -- that *passes* the DNIS information.
>
> I have not tried the hardware, but both Digi and Eicon have ISDN PRI
> cards with 23, 24 or 30 (or even more - 48 or 60) modems on board.  No
> BRI necessary, but you'd better bring your wallet.  They ain't cheap :-(
>
> Digi's cards use a straight forward tty*; while Eicon uses capi.  I've
> never worked with capi, so that's new ground for me.

Hmmm... the Digi boards *emulate an analog faxmodem*?  ATDT and T.30
code in the firware?  Cause I didn't know that...

> > Do they really?  Bummer.  Those are both cards that terminate a PRI
> > directly, Yan?
>
> See above.  Digi's new cards use a dgdm driver, which does a lot more
> for you - but at least on the systems I've tried, it locks up the IDE
> drives, causing massive file corruption.  Not good.  Too bad; I like
> Digi and I use their stuff when I can.  It's reliable, well made, and
> lasts forever.

Hmmm... sounds like it might be worth some investigation; that sounds
like it would suit some of the posters' requests I've seen, if the
problem could be fixed.

You got a part number for me on those cards?

> > But if there's any kind of standard, it would probably be worth, in the
> > long run, soldering the support directly into faxgetty.
>
> The modems usually spit out the ANI/DNIS (or DID) info between the first
> and second rings as straight text - either single line or multi-line; I
> need to figure out how to get that out of faxgetty.  I don't think it
> starts logging before it goes off-hook.  AFAIK, you'd just have to tell
> your modem to answer on second ring then capture everything between
> RING\n RING\n....

I believe that that is in the commlog already, and that is where the
faxrcve script gets it from -- since faxrcvd knows the commid, and
that's how those logs are named...

> Any help with faxgetty is much appreciated; I am not a programmer by
> trade and c++ is not something I am fluent in.  C is OK, shell scripts I
> can puzzle out, but c++ is a no go for me.

Me neither, but I do know who is... but as I say, for proof of concept,
it can be done the "easy" (but not as elegant) way.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me