Re: [hylafax-users] DID Hardware and Setup

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 07:51:11PM -0500, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Actually, I just saw on the multitech web site that their modems support
> caller ID.  It **may** be possible if you use an Adtran or some such, to
> swap DNIS for ANI  and get the called number passed as caller ID.  I
> would think that assumed an ISDN PRI or T1 coming in though.

That's not impossible to consider, but I don't personally know of
anything that can deliver DID as CNID.

> I don't know enough about phone lines to comment further - but with 100
> analog DIDs coming in I'd look really hard at an ISDN PRI.  We're paying
> a fairly trivial $588/mo for ISDN/PRI, and $5/mo for each block of 20
> DIDs.

Quite so... of course, you'll *still* need a box to break the PRI into
BRI's -- that *passes* the DNIS information.

> I started work with a Digi ISDN/BRI card which claimed to work with DIDs
> (or, actaully ANI and DNIS in ISDN parlance.)

Actually ANI is akin to CNID (though not identical).  DNIS (Dialled
Number Identification Service) is the other one, that's similar (though
again not identical) to DID.

>                                                 Unfortunately Digi's new
> drivers tend to crash my systems, so I ordered an Eicon Diva.  We'll see
> how it goes.

Do they really?  Bummer.  Those are both cards that terminate a PRI
directly, Yan?

> Both these companies support ISDN/BRI and PRI, euro and US conventions,
> so it may be worth investigating.  Digi only crashes on some SMP
> systems, so I'd look at their hardware.
>
> I'd welcome all the help I can get on working with DID stuff.  My
> hardware will be here in a week; I need to get a solution soon.

I'll be happy to help you to whatever degree I can; I know there is a
fair amount of interest in this issue.

> If anyone has any modified faxgetty or faxrcvd scripts, please let me
> know.

I'll try to dig though my archive for a pointer; the guy who's doing
this with the ZyXel's has posted his modified faxrcvd, as I recall.

But if there's any kind of standard, it would probably be worth, in the
long run, soldering the support directly into faxgetty.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me