Re: [hylafax-users] "&" character not allowed in LocalIdentifier?

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 06:54:55PM -0600, Lee Howard wrote:
> At 03:55 PM 9/24/01 -0500, Steve Snyder wrote:
> >Am I correct in thinking that HylaFAX won't send a "&" character?  And if
> >sending a "&" is possible, what's the trick to doing it?
>
> Works fine for me both sending and receiving:
> (this was sent by another HylaFAX server).
>
> Technically, however, T.30 only lists numeric characters 0-9, commas,
> whitespace, + and dashes as acceptable characters in a TSI string.  So, it
> may not be surprising to find machines that don't like various characters
> other than these.

It's worth noting here that that "ampersand means the next character
whould be underlined" convention is something that's leaked out from
deep inside the Windows development systems... it's used to flag the
hotkey character in Menu strings.

Many, many windows programmers incorrectly use the routines that expand
strings that way in places where they should not.

Not sure if this is germane to this specific problem, but something to
think about nonetheless.

Cheers,
-- jra

   "Usenet: it's enough to make you loose your mind."
     -- me