Re: [hylafax-users] problem with modem

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:47:48 +0200, you wrote:

>> Which docs?
>http://www.hylafax.org/howto/using.php#ss3.4
>
>states that faxstat should show:
>-> HylaFAX scheduler on faxserver.mydomain.com: Running
>-> Modem ttySx (000-123-4567): Running and idle
If you read that again, you see it talks about faxgetty being on the modem. As I
said in the previous email, faxgetty constantly checks the modem and reports its
status.

>> The modem is checked constantly if you run faxgetty; the modem is checked when
>> HylaFAX sends a fax if you use faxmodem and not faxgetty.
>> So send a fax, and you'll see the status from then on.
>doesnt work as it doesn't find a modem... as i stated :) btw I'm not using faxgetty as i only want to be able to send faxes - not receive.

I repeat:
the fact that you don't see any
Modem ttySx (000-123-4567): Running and idle
when:
you first install HylaFAX
AND
you haven't send a fax yet
AND
and you don't use faxgetty
is normal behavior.

If you cannot send a fax the problem is another one, look at the logs.

Moreover, after you send the first fax, while the fax is idle you'll always see
Modem ttyS1 (+12345678): Waiting for modem to come ready
and this will be normal behavior again (since you use faxmoden, and don't use
faxgetty).

Lee, could you add a something like the following to the section "3.4
Understanding faxstat":

====
If you use faxmodem, instead of faxgetty, the status reported by faxstat will be
different:
1-after installing HylaFAX for the first time and before sending the 1st fax,
the modem status won't be shown
2- after sending the 1st fax, the status will always be
Modem ttySX (+12345678): Waiting for modem to come ready
when the modem is idle
3- only while sending a fax the status will be changed to "initializing server"
and "sending job xxx"

====

--
giulioo@pobox.com