Re: [hylafax-users] How do I tell if I have LPR or LPRng installed?

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Southeastern Computer wrote:

> I've got Redhat 7.1 installed and can't get sambafax working
> properly.  How do I tell if I have LPR or LPRng installed?  I don't
> think my smb.conf file is configured properly because nothing is being
> sent to the print que at all.  Thanks for any help.

Unless you've installed it explicitly, you probably don't have LPRng
installed.

If you have an /etc/lpd.perms or /usr/local/etc/lpd.perms file, then
there's a good chance LPRng is installed.  Whether or not it's being
used is another question.

Do a
ps auxww | grep lpd

(or, whatever your favorite ps flags are if you have one of those
wacky ps -fadel versions instead)

If you don't get any processes back from that, you're not running any
print daemon, so you'd have to fix that before you can get Samba
working.

Alan