Re: [hylafax-users] FreeBSD and HylaFAX

* alan <alan@pair.com> [20010426 16:22]: writing on the subject 'Re: [hylafax-users] FreeBSD and HylaFAX'
alan> What version of Hylafax?  What version of FreeBSD?  Did you install it
alan> from the ports collection or from the sources on the Hylafax site?
alan>
alan> I recently installed Hylafax from the ports collection (4.1b2) on a
alan> 4.1.1-Stable server without any problems.  If you do this, cvsup your
alan> ports tree before installing, and you'll get the recent hylafax
alan> security patch as well.
alan>
alan> Other than this, more specific error messages or descriptions of what
alan> is going wrong would help.
alan>
alan> Alan

Hello Alan,

I am also running HylaFAX on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE and the version is
4.1beta2_2. I upgraded from 4.1beta2_1 by simply doing a make install in
/usr/ports/comms/hylafax. I cvsup every Friday so my base system/ports
tree are very much updated but once I upgraded, I ended up with an error:

Login Failed: 550 Cannot set privileges

[snip]
wash:~$ uname -a
FreeBSD everest.wananchi.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #3: Wed Apr 25
13:37:08 EAT 2001wash@everest.wananchi.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Kern4.x i386
wash:~$ faxstat -s
Login failed: 550 Cannot set privileges.
wash:~$

Secondly, may I kidly enlist your assistance with regard to running
HylaFax for local faxing. My setup has been mainly with the TPC.INT style
faxes but I am looking at a situation where I want to configure an MTA
(prefferably Exim 3.x, but even sendmail config would suffice, I don't
mind) to do local faxing. I want users on my sustem to be able to send
faxes. I have other servers located in 3 different towns in our
country. What I'd like to achieve is like this:

NB: To access a trunk number someone has to dail 0 followed by area code.

Servername	Location	Numbers to cover

Server1		Nairobi		Any number that doesn't begin with a 0
Server2		Mombasa		Any number that begins with 011
Server3		Eldoret		Any number that begins with 0321

I would be looking at a setup where the three servers would only dial out
for numbers that don't start with a 0. They should know where to forward a
fax document if the number is not local.

I hope I am not pushing my imagination so far. Since you use FreeBSD,
you're much in a class of your own, and I happen to be a neighbor when it
comes to those running FreeBSD ;-) Are you running Sendmail or Exim, or
which one?

Hoping for some input from you.

TIA.

alan>