Re: [hylafax-users] FreeBSD and HylaFAX

Although I'm using FreeBSD, this is my first and only Hylafax set up.
It has worked fine so far for my limited application (outgoing faxing
only, from one server).  I don't have direct experience with many of
the things you're attempting, but I'll try to provide comments where
possible.

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> * alan <alan@pair.com> [20010426 16:22]: writing on the subject 'Re: [hylafax-users] FreeBSD and HylaFAX'
> alan> What version of Hylafax?  What version of FreeBSD?  Did you install it
> alan> from the ports collection or from the sources on the Hylafax site?
> alan>
> alan> I recently installed Hylafax from the ports collection (4.1b2) on a
> alan> 4.1.1-Stable server without any problems.  If you do this, cvsup your
> alan> ports tree before installing, and you'll get the recent hylafax
> alan> security patch as well.
> alan>
> alan> Other than this, more specific error messages or descriptions of what
> alan> is going wrong would help.
> alan>
> alan> Alan
>

> Hello Alan,
>
> I am also running HylaFAX on FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE and the version is
> 4.1beta2_2. I upgraded from 4.1beta2_1 by simply doing a make install in
> /usr/ports/comms/hylafax. I cvsup every Friday so my base system/ports
> tree are very much updated but once I upgraded, I ended up with an error:
>
> Login Failed: 550 Cannot set privileges

It looks like this error happens when hfaxd tries to seteuid and
chroot.  What user are you running the hfaxd daemon as?

> [snip]
> wash:~$ uname -a
> FreeBSD everest.wananchi.com 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #3: Wed Apr 25
> 13:37:08 EAT 2001wash@everest.wananchi.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Kern4.x i386
> wash:~$ faxstat -s
> Login failed: 550 Cannot set privileges.
> wash:~$
>
> Secondly, may I kidly enlist your assistance with regard to running
> HylaFax for local faxing. My setup has been mainly with the TPC.INT style
> faxes but I am looking at a situation where I want to configure an MTA
> (prefferably Exim 3.x, but even sendmail config would suffice, I don't
> mind) to do local faxing. I want users on my sustem to be able to send
> faxes. I have other servers located in 3 different towns in our
> country. What I'd like to achieve is like this:
>
> NB: To access a trunk number someone has to dail 0 followed by area code.
>
> Servername	Location	Numbers to cover
>
> Server1		Nairobi		Any number that doesn't begin with a 0
> Server2		Mombasa		Any number that begins with 011
> Server3		Eldoret		Any number that begins with 0321
>
> I would be looking at a setup where the three servers would only dial out
> for numbers that don't start with a 0. They should know where to forward a
> fax document if the number is not local.
>
> I hope I am not pushing my imagination so far. Since you use FreeBSD,
> you're much in a class of your own, and I happen to be a neighbor when it
> comes to those running FreeBSD ;-) Are you running Sendmail or Exim, or
> which one?

We are running qmail here, but we don't have a fax mail gateway set
up.  Unfortunately I have no experience in this area, so I doubt I
could be of much assistance.  Sorry about that.

Alan