Re: [hylafax-users] postscript woes on win2K

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 02:45:49PM +1000, Robert Colquhoun wrote:
> >Feel like recoding the sambafax awk routine?  A fix wouldn't be hard... the
> >fix would be to *not* parse FAX-NR directly from the Postscript file itself
> >but rather from Ghostscript's output using ps2txt... if that makes sense.
>
> I am not sure that would work in all cases anyway - if the user chooses an
> unusual font, one that does not map neatly to the standard Type 1
> postscript fonts, the postscript driver would be free to send the font as a
> bitmap or some vector graphics which would be completely unintelligible to
> ps2txt.

Naw; the font would need to be sent to the interpreter, yes, but the
*text* would still be text; PS printer drivers never send raw glyphs.

> The only way i can see this working is if you have some OCR software
> available to read the rasterized postscript.  Again if an unusual font is
> chosen the ocr software may not be able to recognize it.
>
> And if the user forgets to put the number in or puts "fax-number" by
> mistake how do you report the error?

None of those are issues, I don't think; doesn't it pick the number off
the *cover page*?

Oh, wait, we're talking about SambaFAX, aren't we.  Crap.

Yeah, the last one is unrecoverable, but based on a working knowledge
of postscript internals I don't think the former is a problem.
Experience will tell; thanks to the gent for packaging.

If we're really lucky, maybe he'll put the patch on BugZilla, too.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink