Re: [hylafax-users] postscript woes on win2K

At 10:18 AM 4/21/01 -0600, Lee Howard wrote:
>At 02:11 PM 4/21/01 +0100, Jev wrote:
> >
> >This is what I meant by "No Good", the FAX-NR is not as one string
> >anywhere in the postscript file, so the sambafax awk routine won't find
> >it. I couldn't even find the string with vi. I sent the postscript file
> >manually after, using sendfax, and it sent to a standard fax machine as
> >it should have.
> >
> >As I said, I have played with the postscript driver options, trying the
> >EPS output option amongst others, but still with out luck.
>
>As Giulio has said, this is a common problem.  Sambafax suffers from the
>assumption that there is only one way to write Postscript - a very flawed
>assumption.  In most cases, however, trying various drivers or applications
>has proven some successful arrangement - seems like a waste of time to me.
>
>Feel like recoding the sambafax awk routine?  A fix wouldn't be hard... the
>fix would be to *not* parse FAX-NR directly from the Postscript file itself
>but rather from Ghostscript's output using ps2txt... if that makes sense.

I am not sure that would work in all cases anyway - if the user chooses an
unusual font, one that does not map neatly to the standard Type 1
postscript fonts, the postscript driver would be free to send the font as a
bitmap or some vector graphics which would be completely unintelligible to
ps2txt.

The only way i can see this working is if you have some OCR software
available to read the rasterized postscript.  Again if an unusual font is
chosen the ocr software may not be able to recognize it.

And if the user forgets to put the number in or puts "fax-number" by
mistake how do you report the error?

- Robert