Re: [hylafax-users] Hylafax + firewall

If I understand the original email correctly, then the server actually
should use active (non-passive) mode and passive mode will not work at
all.

The original email is unclear on where the firewall is.  I read it to
mean that the firewall (and server) are at work (or at least not at home,
where the client is.)  If this is correct, then as the email suggested,
port forwarding must be used on the firewall to redirect port 4559
connections to the internal address of the hylafax server.

In passive mode, both the control and data socket connections are
initiated on the client side.  In the default mode (active) the control
connection is initiated by the client but the data connection(s) is
initiated by the server.  If there is one firewall and it is on the
server side, you'll need the server to initiate the data connections.

If there are two firewalls, one on each end, you've got a problem.  Then
you'll probably need software to track the control connection similarly
to how you can get active FTP to work through NAT.  This could get tricky.

In any case, I don't think the firewall is the problem.  If the firewall
was getting in the way of the data connections, he'd have seen
a "Connection refused" error *after* login - at a point when he tried
to get a directory listing or down/up-load a file.  The email suggests the
user can't even login yet.

-joe