Re: [hylafax-users] Bad number

Clay;

No question is dumb. FreeBSD have a RPM package and port. A package in
FreeBSD is very similar to an RPM in Linux. Where you can get a pre-compiled
software and install it almost painlessly in your system. Correct me if I am
wrong but that is my understanding of a RPM. I have tried unsucessfully in
the past to installed Linux RPMs in FreeBSD. My main problems were the
directory structure and other dependancies. The FreeBSD packages are
centralized at 'ftp.FreeBSD.org'. They are segregated by platform and then
releases. If I want a package for the 3.4-RELEASE on intel, I can get it
from the website with a command 'pkg_add' and then the URL of the package.
The command will contact the site then download and install the package. Or
if I want I can download the package to directory and then do the 'pkg_add'
command from that directory.  FreeBSD also have what is called the 'ports
collection', located in /usr/ports. Where you can go into a specific
directory tree, "/usr/ports/comms/hylafax ", depending on the software that
you want to install, and type 'make' or 'make install'. The ports will do
all the work for you. This includes the download, compile and installation
of dependancies for the software that you want to install, as well as the
software. I have had have little problems with the ports collection since it
is 'stupid easy' to use. As a matter of fact, hylafax was compiled from
source in the ports collection.

The output to ps -ax in FreeBSd will look like;

PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
0    ??  DLs    0:00.19  (swapper)
1    ??  Is     0:00.06 /sbin/init --
2    ??  DL     0:01.06  (pagedaemon)
.
.
.
678  V+  Is    0:01.10 /usr/local/sbin/faxq
680  V   I     0:01.18 /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty cuaa1
I normally used ps -aux but that's me.

I hope this answer your questions.

Also, to get back a little with my original question, the problem was
faxgetty not running. Since I got the faxgetty running I have been able to
send and recieve faxes.

Thank you fellas for your guidance and pointers.

-Max