Re: [hylafax-users] faxgetty interferes with Internet dial-up

At 12:31 PM 11/16/00 -0800, Roger P. Brown wrote:

>I am a running a dial-up workstation to be used for
>both sending and receiving faxes. Because my only
>Do I really have to disable faxgetty or is there
>another way?

It could be the locked tty.  You may want to try abusing symlinks here...
which isn't a great idea generally with devices.

ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/fax
ln -s /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

(where ttyS2 reflects your configuration)
Then set up faxgetty, faxsetup, faxaddmodem all to use /dev/fax instead of
/dev/ttyS1
Then set up your dialup software to use /dev/modem

Maybe that will help.

Just got your reply mail from someone else...

>* My modem: /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS2
>* My Internet dialer (kppp) uses: /dev/modem
>* /etc/inittab says (among other things):
>  mo:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS2

This is a problem because (I may be wrong) the lock is going on ttyS2 by
faxgetty, and kppp doesn't see that lock because it's using /dev/modem
rather than /dev/ttyS2.  You could try pointing both of them to /dev/ttyS2
or doing as I wrote above.