Re: Re: No answer from remote

OK,
	I figured out what my modem is doing.  In Moscow, Russia they use
rotary dial.  I uncommented the command line in /var/spool/fax/etc/config.ttyS1
ModemDialCmd:           ATDP%s@         # T for tone dialing, @ for silence
	changed ATDT to ATDP too.
(By the way, was I supposed to uncomment that line?  I heard my phone tone dial
before I uncommented that line.  How it did it, I don't know. Uncommenting
this command and changing it was the only way I could figure out to set
my phone to rotary dial.)

	Anyhoq, my modem has two unsuccessful methods of dialing
A)
	Modem dials.  But the tone in the receiver is still heard along with
the rotory clicks of the modem's dialing.  Of course, the modem does not
succeed.

B)
	1.  Modem dials.  Good  (No tone in receiver this time.  Normal)
	2.  Silence with my modem beeping.  Good.
 	3.  Finally the agitating chriping of a cut off connection.  Bad.

	I get the same result as B simply by pressing a single digit on the
receiver and waiting till I get that annoying cut-off-connection chirping
sound.
	Apparantly, my modem is not truely dialing correctly.  Does this mean that I
probably need a special dialrules.moscow for Moscow, Russia?  And how can my
modem actually dial a number, yet not actually dial up the number?  If that
made sense.

George
--
My personal website