Re: WHFC Losing User Info

In fact, it seems that the workstation version of Win 2000 is pretty
similar to NT40, if you include the latest service pack and IE 4.

The difference that is causing this problem is the way the registry stores
information.  It seems that WHFC is using in different registry contexts
depending on how it is called.  One way it uses the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/WHFC and the other way it uses
HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Software/WHFC.  I forget which is which.  The easy
work-around is to copy the folder with the "filled in" keys to the other
one.  This will work fine if you always use the printer to bring up the WHFC.

The bad part is that if you use WHFC both ways, you have to have a way to
keep the registry keys in sync.  It shouldn't be too difficult to create a
script that will do that for you.  Without having the source for ... well,
for anything, it's impossible to tell where the bad behavior is.

... HH

At 11:52 AM 1/3/2000 +0100, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
>Mike Wilhelm wrote:
> >
> > I'm using the WHFC Windows HylaFAX client version 1.0.5 to send faxes to a
> > HylaFAX server running on a SuSE Linux 6.2 machine.  I've set up the user,
> > phonebook, and logging options which are used every time I start up the
> > WHFC client.  These values are also used if I send a fax using the OLE
> > interface from a Microsoft Access database application, sending faxes
> > directly without prompting by the client.
> >
> > I've defined a printer (Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS) to use the WHFCport to
> > send faxes using the WHFC client interactively.  The user, phonebook, and
> > logging options "disappear" when the WHFC client pops up, which makes it
> > impossible to send a fax.
> >
> > How can I get WHFC to use the settings that have been previously defined
> > (and are used by the OLE interface) when I print to the WHFC printer ???
> >
> > The Windows machine that's having the problem is running an evaluation
> > build of Windows 2000, which I assuming to be very similar to NT4 (from a
> > WHFC point-of-view).  A similar setup on a Windows 98 SE machine doesn't
> > have the problem and successfully sends faxes interactively and via OLE.
>
>Hi,
>
>where do you have the information, that Win2000 is similar to NT ?!?!?.
> >From my experiences specially handling of ODBC and lowlevel drivers like
>the port monitor are handled very differently in every windows
>version.
>
>Currently WHFC is only tested for Windows 95/98/NT. I don't expect that
>WHFC runs correctly on Win 2000. I will test this, when a release
>version
>is out (and probably the first service pack is avaliable).
>
>Regards
>Uli
>--
>Ulrich Eckhardt                         Tr@nscom GbR