Re: SuSE 6.2 Hylafax SuSEfax - Help!

Hello,
	I am now faxing with SuSEFax/HylaFAx using a LinkSys 10/100 +56k combo
PCMCIA card, with the modem class set to Class 1 from my Winbook XL
laptop with SuSE 6.2 (Linux) installed.  Thought I would post the
changes here in case anyone else using SuSE experience similar problems.
	 After SuSE 6.2 install, I had to make three changes:
1)	Change
ModemClass:                                              "any"
ModemClass:                                              "any:.*"
 in the file /var/spool/fax/etc/config
	The SuSE manual on page 183 incorrectly told me to input "any"
2)	Add
fx:2345:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty /dev/ttyS1
 In /etc/inittab,
	After changing the inittab, it was necessary to get Linux to see the
change.  Went to my root directory with the command
cd /
then typed
telinit q to get Linus to reread the /etc/inittab file
Your system may use the command
telinit -q or
init q
	Rebooting will work to.

 Note: that I did not set my device to /dev/modem but to /dev/ttyS1 to
avoid lock file problems.  Also, after adding this fx... line in
inittab, my ppp connection to the internet would not work using
/dev/modem once I got faxgetty running with the above command.  I use
kppp, and simply set my modem to /dev/ttyS1 since my modem is hooked up
to Serial Port 1 which is COM 2 by the way.  If you don't use SuSE, than
make sure that the path to faxgetty is correct.  It may reside in
another directory for you.
	Note:  In case your a Newbie like me, mingetty is not a faxprogram.
Thus the need for the faxgetty command line.  I sat there and stared at
the mingetty commands wondering why they were not working, sending my
faxes.

3)  Uncomment the ModemDialCmd line in my
/var/spool/fax/etc/config.ttyS1 file and change ATDT%s@ to ATDP%s@ since
rotary/analog dialing is necessary in Moscow, Russia.

ModemDialCmd:           ATDP%s@         # T for tone dialing, @ for
silence

	Note: your file may be config.modem or config.ttyS2 etc depending on
which device you have your modem set to.
	If you still can't fax, continue reading the help documents, and cry
for help on the HylaFax thread found at www.hylafax.org like I did.

	I don't know why SuSE did not do this stuff for me automatically.  Or
for that matter put the faxgetty command in for me automatically.  Oh
well.

George Zeigler

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions