Re: USR Courier, Waiting for modem to come ready

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 09:50:30AM -0600, Colin Eric Johnson wrote:
> longterm 8 % /opt/local/fax/bin/faxstat
> HylaFAX scheduler on longterm.lternet.edu: Running
> Modem cua/a (+1.505.272.7080): Waiting for modem to come ready
>
> In a last ditch effort to see if  could at least return to the point that
> I was at prior to working on the paging information I removed hylafax and
> re-installed it. I was then able to send a single fax and now I am back
> with the same "Waiting for modem to come ready" state.

Hmmm...

> I cannot seem to get Hylafax to change the state of the modem (although
> the modem does seem to be working fine as I can dial out with it using
> kermit. I have tried both repeat applications of faxmodem (this is an
> outgoing only service) and faxstate but neither seem to change the state
> of the modem in the mind of hylafax.

AHA!

This is actually covered in the docs, I think: if you're not running
faxgetty, you'll _never see_ "Running and Idle".  Run faxgetty anyway,
just tell it not to answer.  It's much more pleasant.

In fact, Darren, Robert; I'm thinking we ought to consider deprecating
faxmodem entirely.  What do y'all think of that idea?

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions