Re: are 3Com/USR 56K's just plain hopeless ?

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 06:08:04AM +0000, Chad A. Adlawan wrote:
>   I am very new to this list, brought here only by the troubles my
> 3Com/USR 56K Faxmodem.  I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 and I installed
> hylafax using those w/c have been packaged by the Debian maintainers.
>   Ive been reading archives from the LIST re USR modems, the most recent
> of which appears to be the "consultant wanted for install".  Seems like
> Im not alone in this USR battle afterall.

You're not, Chad... you're not.  :-)

>   Can someone please tell me whether my 3Com/USR 56K Faxmodem really is
> hopeless for use on hylafax ?  Because none of the modems recommended by
> hylafax seems to be available from where i come (philippines, southeast
> asia).

I gather that the config file that some kind soul posted here about 3
weeks ago seems to be productive for a couple of people.  I have installed
an Internal V.90 "Sportster" myself this week, replacing a broken
AOpen, but I haven't had time to test it extensively.

I gather that there are some content related issues pertinent here as
well, particularly the tagline stuff, and I'm not sure whether your
.deb's would have that patch in them or not.

>   If there is anyone here who has managed to get the 56K USR's working
> with hylafax, could you please help me how to make this thing work OR,
> maybe send me a copy of their modem's config.ttySx file ?

You might check the archives at hylafax.org for that config file that
(Gerry, I think?) posted.  If you can't find it, I saved it; drop me a
note.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions