are 3Com/USR 56K's just plain hopeless ?

Hello Everyone !
  I am very new to this list, brought here only by the troubles my
3Com/USR 56K Faxmodem.  I'm using Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 and I installed
hylafax using those w/c have been packaged by the Debian maintainers.
  Ive been reading archives from the LIST re USR modems, the most recent
of which appears to be the "consultant wanted for install".  Seems like
Im not alone in this USR battle afterall.

  Can someone please tell me whether my 3Com/USR 56K Faxmodem really is
hopeless for use on hylafax ?  Because none of the modems recommended by
hylafax seems to be available from where i come (philippines, southeast
asia).
  If there is anyone here who has managed to get the 56K USR's working
with hylafax, could you please help me how to make this thing work OR,
maybe send me a copy of their modem's config.ttySx file ?

Thanks In Advance,
Chad A. Adlawan

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions