Re: client access ?

> Hi, I had the same problem here, If you find a solution I'll be
> gratefull if you can post it here.

You need to change the permissions on the files, I think there may
be a configuration option, but failing that, do it in the faxrcvd
script.  Note, anyone will then be able to read them.

> My alternative solution to this problem was to modify the source or
> hylafaxd to instead of sending an ftp url send an http url, since every

I don't believe it actually sends a URL; I think your email program
may be inferring one, although I could be wrong on this point.

> navigator in the office have the prizm tiff plug-in they can see them

All the browsers I know, when correctly configured, can cope with
TIFF files on ftp URLs.

The Wang/Eastman imaging tool supplied with NT 4 and available for/
supplied with Windows 9x (you failed to specify an OS, which normally
means a Win32 one) is quite capable of displaying faxes.  You may need
to take steps to avoid some formats, either by actively converting, or
by enabling copy quality checking and specifying a safe output format.

> 3. The posibility of choose a fax by its file name to display trought
> the web using magick to convert to jpg, download to disk, see trought
> the plug-in or print it .

*Do not* convert faxes to JPEG; it is a very inappropriate format for
1 plane images.  If you must convert to a less efficient format than
G3 FAX, use 1 plane PNG or 1 plane GIF.  A JPEG will almost certainly
be larger and will blur the image.

If you are receiving the mails, then you should configure to attach
the fax to them, either as the default postscript file (for direct
printing or for viewing with the ghostscript freeware) or apply one of
the recently published patches to attach the TIFF version.

> Brad Larden wrote:
>
> > I have poked around with the /etc/hosts file as suggested in the FAQ
> > and the hfaxd man page. Either I am misreading something or it is not
> > designed for this purpose.

Nowhere are you told to modify /etc/hosts; you are told to modify
/var/spool/fax/etc/hosts.

> > Can anyone shed any light on this one please ?

Received files are not associated with a user, so can only be used by
someone with administrative status.  Administrative status requires a
secondary password, which cannot be entered using web browsers, but
only using the quote command of a command line ftp client (including
a GUI client with the ability to supply command line input) or
a special Hylafax client.

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions