Re: Problems starting up the flexfax daemons

In message <s70dceeb.032@mail1>, "Andrew DePaula" writes:
>Greetings:
>   I'm at the very beginning of the whole process with hylafax.

:-)

>I've sucessfully compiled and installed all the necessary software.

Great!

>From reading the enclosed html documentation, it is my understanding
> that one of the last steps before having a working system, is running the fax
>setup script.

Omigod. Thank-you!! You're scoring bigtime brownie points here. YOU READ THE
DOCS!!!! You'll go far ;-)

>Among other things, this should start the necessary core hylafax
> daemons on the system, and make sure they get started again when and if a reb
>oot occurs.

Not true. Faxsetup sets up the runtime environment once-only. It does not mean
HylaFAX will run at next boot. Unfortunately it would be pretty tough for
faxsetup to cope with the various ways HylaFAX(tm) might be invoked on
different operating systems.

>Well, unless I'm understanding the documentation wrong, this is no
>t happening. Am I required to manually start the proper daemons (hfaxd, etc..)
>? If I am could someone give me a bit more concise descrption of which daemons
> to run, and what options to call them with. (I read the man page and was some
>what confused at all the options)

Go to the directory you built HylaFAX(tm) from, for instance hylafax-v4.0pl2/. Then cd to the etc dir, and look for a SysV init script called, quite simply, hylafax. Checkitout.

You don't say what flavor of UNIX you run, so I can't say how you SHOULD be starting it, but in brief I would recommend running hfaxd standalone and not from inetd, one faxgetty for each modem run from inittab, and a faxq process. DO NOT run hfaxd with the old protocol unless you must, it's pretty security unaware.

-Darren

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions