Re: Which modem works best with HylaFAX?

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 06:46:12AM -0500, Lane Lester wrote:
> I was disappointed to read the message about the lack of author support
> for hylafax.  Linux needs more, not fewer, user apps, so I hope a
> solution can be found.

Apparently I _missed_ the message about the lack of author support, but
inasmuch as the source is open, I think we can safely let Sam have a
life if we need to.  i've yet, frankly, to find something show-stopperish
enough to make me think I _needed_ Sam's help.  A large majority of the
known problems are fixable, although perhaps the fixes haven't made it
into the "factory" distribution...

In particular, if you're using RedHat, you _really_ need to start with
one of the (3, I think) pre-patched RPMs.  I did that, and all the
problems I had been having getting started mysteriously vanished.

Phil is still migrating a few useful things over from elgro to
hylafax.org, but between the two sites, I got everything running pretty
tightly with just a Boca 288/Fax, not on overly impressive modem.

As for user apps, I hope people decide to throw money at the WHFC chap.
He's got a nice running start, and there are only about 2 or 3 things I
think he could add to produce a commercial class client.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592

Project hosted by iFAX Solutions